Friday, January 21, 2011

A new start

In light of a new year and a new life for me, I thought it would be fitting to start a completely new blog. This time, though, it will actually have a purpose!

Ever since I could remember I've always wanted to be a writer. Writing for me in many, many ways has been a huge passion and almost a sanity saver. I get these worlds, characters and stories stuck in my head that would just itch at me till I could find somewhere to jot them quickly down. When I was younger this really wasn't a problem I loved creating and all that's all that mattered to me. As I got older I became more self conscious and started to care about what people would think. I started to silence the characters in my head cause I was embarrassed of them. Needless to say, I became very creatively frustrated. I didn't enjoy writing any more because I didn't think it was perfect so I slowly stopped. Thus started my journey to finding ways to express myself that I wouldn't be ashamed of. I've tried many things, doodling, scrap-booking, card making, stamping I think I  even tried knitting. All of these were fun and interesting but I found that I get so upset with myself when I can't do it perfectly the first time.
 Now to the point of this whole blog. I want to get the stories and worlds out of my head and I want to do them in the best way I know how which is write. Though, I don't want to do it in just those ways as well. I'm a firm believer in having multiple outlets and I've found one outlet often leads to another. If I have such issue with myself and perfection why not try tons of new things to get out of the funk I'm in. While I was in Barnes and Noble I found this interesting book that started me thinking about all of this. It's called "The Crafters Devotional: 365 days of Tips, Tricks and Techniques for Unlocking your Creative Spirit by Barbara R. Call" Sounds cheesy I know and when I first saw it I almost didn't pick it up but the curiosity got the best of me and I ended up looking at it for a while. The philosophy behind this book is spend some time exploring all kinds of facets of art. They've split everything up into weeks that follow a day by day category.

Monday-Journaling
Tuesday-Recycle, Reuse or Revive
Wednesday- Collection, Stash and Materials
Thursday-Personal History
Friday-Noncraft Inspiration
Saturday & Sunday- Collaborate, Gather and Experiment

They have, with each day, a craft or an item that you make anything you feel like with that sticks to a theme. Like for example on one Monday they tell you to personalize your journal any way you want to. Fill it with pictures or decorate the outside or write something uniquely to you. It's all what ever you want to do but the point is to just do it! No matter how lame it is.

I realize to many people this may be kind of odd and you might not understand what this has to do with writing. But that's the point. I'm doing something unconventional cause that's what it takes for me to be OK with my writing. For years now I haven't been able to write a short story or finish a concept. I won't let people read them and I've been feeling ashamed of my old writings as well. This is a way for me to not only publish my lame little crafts but for me to realize I'm not writing/creating for other people. I'm trying to better myself as an artist. People don't have to like it and I will admit I'm doing this for purely selfish reasons. (That's art though right?) My plan is to follow this book and document my...progress? I'm planning on starting on Monday and I'll be taking pictures of my little crafts as well. What better way to practice my writing than to write about it?
So there it is. My new start. I can't guarantee that I'm going to post something everyday but I'll try to post often with pictures. You're welcome to join me on my journey or completely ignore me. Either way it's going to be fun!

"The artist has but one idea. He is born with it and he spends a lifetime developing it and making it breathe."- Henry Matisse

No comments:

Post a Comment